Website Northglenn Arts
THEATRICAL DESIGNERS – OPEN CALL
Northglenn Arts, a division of the City of Northglenn, is accepting applications (a resume and short letter of inquiry to the email below) for temporary and ongoing contracted design positions related to its in-house productions.
NATURE OF THE WORK
These temporary and ongoing contracted positions include design specializations related to the following: lighting, sound, projections, costumes, set/scenic, and props. Individuals with a focus on one or more of these skills are encouraged to apply. Resumes are reviewed on an ongoing basis and selected individuals will be asked to a series of short interviews related to a specific production.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND SKILLS
- Attend scheduled production meetings (either in-person or via video conferencing) or provide notes related to design for the production team to review at said meetings.
- Ability to attend any and all tech-related rehearsals as determined per-role by Production Manager (Designer Runs, Paper Tech, Dry Tech, Wet Tech, Tech and/or Dress Rehearsal).
- Adhere to production deadlines outlined with the Production Manager.
- Read all Rehearsal and Performance reports and respond to any and all notes for the specific design that is being fulfilled.
- Maintain communication with the Stage Manager, Director, Technical director and Production Manager throughout the design and fulfillment processes to ensure that all parties are on the same page.
- Please note: this role could be for a Northglenn Youth Theatre production, so the ability to work with and in relationship to middle and high school performers and technicians would be necessary.
Lighting Designer – Responsibilities
- A complete “light design” that includes, if necessary, a lighting plot, channel hook-up, gobo plot and/or color plot.
- Support for the hang and focus of that “light design”.
- Patching and programing of that light design in the theatre’s lighting system
- Experience with the following, helpful: ETC Ion Xe Lighting Console
- Training and general support of stage manager and/or light board operator(s) to be able to complete the “lighting design” for the run of the show.
Sound Designer – Responsibilities
- A complete “sound design” that includes, if necessary, a sound plot, mic-flow, and/or QLab file with all necessary files/equipment to support that design.
- Set-up and program, or organize the set-up and programming of the theatre’s sound systems for the production:
- Experience with the following helpful: Shure QLX Wireless System, Allen & Heath SQ7 Sound Console, Dante Protocol networking.
- Training and general support of stage manager and/or sound board operator(s) to be able to complete the “sound design” for the run of the show.
Projection Designer – Responsibilities
- Set-up and program the theatre’s projections system for the production.
- Experience with the following helpful: QLab 4 on a MacBook Pro
- Training and general support of stage manager and/or projection operator(s) to be able to complete the “projection design” for the run of the show.
Prop Manager/Designer – Responsibilities
- Research and and provide design options for props related to a specific production
- Collection and delivery of rehearsal props for that production
- Collection and delivery of approved production props
- Training, and general support of stage management, in order to ensure all props are used according to design
- Coordination of props strike, with Northglenn Arts support, to ensure all props are returned and/or organized in props closet after the close of production.
Scenic Designer – Responsibilities
- Research and provide design options for the Set/Scenic elements related to a specific production.
- A complete “scenic design” or “set design” that includes, if necessary, concept renderings, a ground plan, and/or blueprints to support that design.
- Support for the build, load-in and installation of the finalized design, including ongoing communication and check-ins with the Production Manager and/or Technical Director.
- Training, and general support of stage management, in order to ensure the set or scenic elements are used according to the design.
- Support of the strike, in coordination with Northglenn Arts, of the set and scenic elements to ensure all elements are returned after the close of the production.
Costume Designer – Responsibilities
- Research and provide design options for the costuming elements related to a specific production.
- A complete “costume design” that includes, if necessary, concept renderings and/or costume drawings to support that design.
- The completed costume(s) needed for each character, and any appropriate changes as indicated during production meetings. This includes, and is not limited to hats, accessories, shoes and socks.
- The organization and distribution of all costumes for performance, which includes labeling and grouping pieces according to character.
- Provide or coordinate costume/production assistance (i.e. laundering and repairs) during the run of the show, including timely repairs of any issues communicated via production reports, including making arrangements for any laundering that will be necessary during the run of the show.
- Training, and general support of stage management, in order to ensure all costume elements are used according to the design.
- Support of the strike, in coordination with Northglenn Arts, of all costume elements to ensure all individual pieces are cleaned/laundered and restored/returned after the close of the production.
Compensation is through a stipend that varies between $300 and $2500 per production, according to each specific design position and/or how elaborate of a design each production is asking of a specific designer.
Northglenn Arts is the cultural services division of the City of Northglenn, which strives to provide affordable access to the arts in north Denver by presenting quality live productions through Northglenn Arts Presents and Northglenn Youth Theatre, offering outdoor summer concerts and movies, drama classes for youth through NYT Academy, art & dance classes, public art through Northglenn Art’s Art on Parade and other commissions, and special events throughout the year.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org